View Single Post
Old 03-27-2014, 07:11 AM
Not sure how I got here.

Fixing the A/C is really quite simple, but it may be hard work. You decide on the leak detector type you want to use.... I have a sniffer, and the dye. The dye is 100% better..... Fill it with the recommended amount of dye, a few cc's, then pump in dry nitrogen, pressueize it, run it, and find the leaks....( You can use air if you want, but run it through a desiccant first, put in 120 psi, but don't leave it in there long, vaccum it down when done.) R-12 is available like old tubes on ebay.... Go online and get your Freon handeling certificate from some online dealer, I got mine from a place in Texass, I think it was $25. You will need it to buy freon on ebay. Fill it only once you have fixed all the leaks.... Conversion to 134A is an option, but it's less efficient than the 12. All the tools you will need you can resell once you are done with them if you want, and most likely get 90% of your money back... I got all my tools off ebay, and use them as all our stuff is R-12, and R-22 for the house.... Like a lot of things, it may be a recurring charge to try and get a good mechanic who can fix it for real, and fix it once... I find I'm usually going to have to fix it myself if I want it done right anyway... And there are lots of really good resources for everything online....

And I'm with you 100% on the early Dakotas, they do a lot, and are a great size....