View Single Post
Old 08-07-2017, 09:34 PM
M is for Memory

I've owned two of that model of player and the Zenith badged version. 2 of the 3 had bad platter drive belts. The first was constant R G B vert stripes forming a sort of rainbow in the color signal, the other did that intermittently. Both were solved with new platter belts. I want to say all you need to do is remove the top and you can change the belt if you look carefully at how it is installed*. The platter drive motor pulley is on the front left of the unit IIRC, and the platter pulley is built into the bottom of the platter.

*I'm picturing some top structure disassembly, but that may not have been for the belt.....One of my decks had been mechanically monkeyed with. The off-play-load control mechanism (which is rather complicated) was totally out of adjustment, off did not work, and the other modes were misbehaving...It took me a few hours of fiddling to understand the mech and re-do all the adjustments to get it right.

Fine tuning tip: If at start it needs the fast forward search held to start playing on it's own, or it starts playing part way into the intro animation on side 1 (won't let you see the beginning) then the "pickup home position" adjustment is not set right. That adjustment is a screw that can be accessed by a hole on the back on the side of the back behind the off-play-load lever. If it wont start turn it clockwise slowly till it does then add 1/4 turn. If some discs still won't start pic the worst one (which does not start with a skip) and redo the adjustment.
If it starts too far in, then turn the screw CCW and load cycle till it starts but not too far in. Most discs have ~1-5 sec of black screen at start which is where ideally you want playback to start at.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma