Thread: A Confession
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2016, 01:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
I think that paragraph just about blew my mind... you have the ability to project 35 and 70MM FILM at HOME!? WOW! I thought that hobby was for eccentric millionaires
I don't want to derail the OP's thread too much so I'll keep it brief. Yes it's not only possible to collect and project 35 and 70, it isn't as expensive as you think if you are patient and have good contacts. It took me a long time to work up to the 70mm however. I mostly bought prints in the 90's from a now defunct classified ad magazine called "The Big Reel". Prints averaged from $150-$350 usually back then. I bought a WWII era "portable" 35mm projector and could only run one 20 minute reel at a time. In 2008 I acquired my first dual gauge 35mm/70mm machine and started accumulating the sound processors for the different kinds of audio tracks. That machine also allowed me to use large enough reels to hold an hour of film so only one re-thread per show. Now I have a full blown system with platters and and everything but my print collecting days are pretty much done and I sit on my 45 or so titles I've kept. The magazine is gone, and what titles get put on ebay are being "panic bought" by film archives and "eccentric millionaires" Just last week a print of Raiders of the Lost Ark got bid up to $4585. Ridiculous. That used to be a $350-$500 title not too long ago. Maybe I'll make a thread on the subject in another subforum.