View Single Post
Old 03-20-2023, 11:21 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lain94 View Post
Finally mustered up the patience and time to finally pull the chassis out of the Zenith. I more thoroughly cleaned it up as well as the inside cabinet. I used deoxit on all the pots. I am going to replace all the electrolytic capacitors, paper in oil caps, wax papers, wax paper safety caps ect. I even found at least one bumble bee cap and a sprague black beauty. I ordered the replacement capacitors needed from Digi key and am waiting on those.

Also checked on the bulb near the tuner and surprised to find that it is not burnt. I also plan on testing all the diodes in circuit using a multimeter. Will check thermister, flyback, and other transformers.

Oh and I somehow managed to find and buy a NOS Thordarson Vertical Output transformer for this tv. So if that transformer is bad or does go bad I will be ready for that.

I already clipped out two wax paper caps to examine more closely and made note of their location. Also will be needing to get a replacement inductor or two for the convergence board that is screwed on the top part of the wood cabinet as the plastic is literally turning to dust and falling apart.

I am planning on doing a full restoration of this tv to look like new in performance. I will even eventually work on restoring this wood cabinet. Cataracts look minimal on the screen. Speaker fabric grill needs replaced as it is all chewed up.

Two wires got pulled off and will need to be resoldered but that is no big deal.

Taking this apart today gave me quite the workout. lol

https://imgur.com/a/jRTnZ2V

I hope you get this Zenith TV working as well as it probably did when new. Zenith has always been my favorite brand of TV, even after the DTV transition and Zenith's move to Korea from Chicago in 2008, so when anyone here on VK talks about one I will read the post with great interest.

BTW: How did the speaker grill on yours get so chewed up? You didn't mention pets, etc. getting at the fabric and chewing on it (cats will often do this, as well as chewing on wiring; I had a cat several years ago that chewed through the insulation on my computer's printer cable and, needless to say, destroyed the cable in one fell swoop), but it can happen, as my note in parentheses stated. It is fortunate your TV's speaker cone and/or the wiring to the speaker wasn't damaged by whatever chewed on the grill.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 03-20-2023 at 11:32 PM.