Old 01-17-2016, 10:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstaton View Post
Chevy Luv=Isuzu
ford Courier=Mazda
dodge d50=Mitsubishi

interestingly enough, all 3 still have ties with these Japanese company's

I always thought AMC vehicles were interesting using different manufacturers parts. Generally the engines were AMC, Automatics were Chrysler, Power seats were GM, Steering column was GM, P/S pumps were Saginaw(GM), ignition systems were Ford duraspark(usually), A/C/heat look GM. Did they use Spicer axles?

I owned a lot of Volvo's over the years. They did the same thing in the 80's. DAna rear axles, Aisin automatics, Saginaw P/S pumps, engine was Volvo, Brakes were ATE or Girling
Somehow I'm not surprised they still have ties with them.
Well, you have everything pretty much listed out that the Wag uses!
But before 1980, at least on the FSJ's, they were using GM auto's. As for the axles, They had a few of there own and they also used Dana axles. Wag's got the 44 front and back. The AC in the full size jeeps is one of the stupidest set up's(to me). It looks like an after thought(add on) and is set up to cool your knee's. What the hell's good/luxury about that?! They should have redesigned the dash at some point and put the vents in it, where air vents belong!!

Hmm, you know, the Cherokee's used Aisin/Borg Warner trannies too! Believe they used the AW4 model, very good auto, pretty reliable too! My XJ's currently got 173K and it shifts pretty good. Ive seen them at 3-400K miles and still going with no rebuild. Same with the 4.0 engine's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pac.attack76 View Post
Yeah those amc vehicles were pretty cool. They made some fairly ugly cars too but I always had a thing for the gremlins though. I don't think I'd want a vehicle made of different parts. With so many choices on the road, I have no idea what made them want to combine like that. First time I seen one of those dodge mitsu trucks, I was like wth?
Ha! everybody pretty much had there share of ugly cars. The most interesting car though, (and kinda ugly in a lot of peoples view) that AMC built would have to be the Pacer.
I like the Gremlins too. We've got 1 in town that I know of, and believe it or not, it's the guy's plow truck! He put the body on a small 4X4 chassis! It's a pretty cool set up! It don't even sit much higher than stock either!
Well, with there name being American Motors Corp. It's no surprise there made from other American manufacturer's parts. And general parts aren't too hard to find either, because of that!