View Single Post
Old 05-17-2016, 08:13 PM
Technohippie

The last 3 of the plugin modules are completed and ready to go. Construction is much the same as the previous ones. Here we have the Vertical Oscillator, Horizontal Oscillator, and Pincushion modules. I have been replacing the electrolytics with modern equivalents as I go along.

I have tested a random sample (maybe 25-30) of the resistors during the build, and have found the values within tolerance (some just barely). Solderability of the boards remained very good through 40 years of storage, and almost all of the components have been perfectly usable right out of the box, as well. Some of the diodes which had silver plated leads had a bit of tarnish on them, but it wiped right off. The CTS brand trimpots were the only major soldering problem, with the wiper terminals refusing to take solder until I heavily wirebrushed the terminal (removing whatever the plating was and exposing the brass underneath). Not sure what the plating is, but it develops a thin brownish/purple tarnish that solder flux does nothing to. The end terminals of the pots are just fine, having what appears to be a tin/lead coating.

The final pic here are all 9 of the modules completed so far. Next up is the convergence panel....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vert Osc.jpg (109.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Horz Osc.jpg (97.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Pincushion.jpg (69.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg All Boards.jpg (107.8 KB, 60 views)