View Single Post
Old 03-08-2015, 01:06 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
Working in home construction in Atlanta from the 90's to 2000, I discovered that
"brick houses" are really just brick faced, no strength, and often not really even
attached to the house. I watched several brick houses down there have their
face "fall off" within a few months - to a year or two after being completed....

They don't even use those zinc fold over tabs anymore.....
Don't tie anything to brick, unless it's like 70 years old....

Yeah new stuff is all some flavor of 'veneer over particle board (or card board)'...

I would not trust old masonry much more than new though. About 2 years ago there was one helluva wind storm here in Milwaukee, and two historic brick buildings had surprising masonry failures. One was IIRC 'The Historic Pabst Pub', and had the better part of the bricks on the 1 story tall section collapse, and has STILL not been repaired. The other building was an unused factory building along the river.....The better part of a three story multi-layer brick wall came down, and the owners of that and another similar structure next door (both of which were on the national historic register IIRC) had them both demolished.....Long story short unless it's built to withstand a nuke, always be suspicious of masonry.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4