View Single Post
Old 02-18-2012, 03:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've run into quite a few of those 2008-ish Sonys with bad panels. Also seen a couple Mitsubishi and some Toshiba, and of course Samsung (they made all of the panels I've seen with that bad bond on the ribbons). There are some Youtube videos showing how to "fix" that, by putting shims against the chips to restore the connections. I feel OK with it for myself because when it fails again I don't have to answer to anyone but myself. (And my wife.) I wouldn't do a fix like that for someone else. I also worry about the heat those drivers generate. They get dang hot, and with rubber shims in there the heat cant get away very well which I suspect will accelerate the demise of the chips. I have tried it a few times. Usually lasts a few months or less.
I have fixed the T-CONs on a few of those. I have seen the fuse open on them, and have usually found it opened because of a shorted MLCC somewhere on the board. New fuse, new cap or just crush the bad one, (if I can figure out which one it is) and good to go. I recently confirmed a couple of them I fixed about 2 years ago are still running.

Getting back on the main topic of this thread, I agree with everyone else...Trying to fix one of those plasma sets is risky at best. I usually tell people to take the money repair will cost and put it into a new set. Some sets I simply refuse the job. I'd rather have them pissed at me because I DIDN'T take their money than because I did and the set didn't last