View Single Post
Old 03-10-2021, 09:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

JVC HR-D470U Tracking problems fixed

Long time listener, first time poster.

So, I have a JVC HR-D470U (sideways loader) that I bought new in 1987. I've used this machine a LOT. I've never done much to it other than clean the tape path, belts and change the super cap (probably in the 90's). Several years ago I was going to watch a tape. It started mistracking and was getting sort of a pulsing on the screen. Eventually it would play OK. I backed the tape up and the part that would not track was OK. I think at that point, I cleaned the transport. It didn't solve the issue. It only got worse and happened with all tapes. Later, I tried new belts and idler tire. Still didn't resolve it. I just put it away and bought another VCR that worked. I decided to try to get this going a couple of times over the last several years but just got frustrated. I'm not a trained technician. I took electronics in high school. So I'm more of a tinkerer. I decided to try get it going again recently. Judging by the symptoms of not tracking, and studying the service manual, I decided that the control pulse is not being read properly. Another symptom was that it could not automatically select the tape speed. So I studied the schematic and thought hey this cap seems like a likely culprit. I swapped it out and nope wasn't the problem. I did notice that if I would just let it play a tape eventually it would start tracking OK for a while then act up again. I was watching a guy on YouTube diagnose something. He used heat to find bad caps. I thought hey why not try heat! I got a hair dryer out and heated the circuit board near that cap I replaced. BINGO! Within seconds, it straightened out for a while and then acted up again. More heat and bam, plays fine. I eventually narrowed it down to a 47µF capacitor (C23). I pulled it out and tested it on my Mega 328 component tester. It read 1400pF at first. Then it read 18µF with 140 Ohms ESR! I put a new cap in and now it is working pretty good. I can even play a tape that was recorded in EP in 1987! Even HiFi is working good. I need to replace the super cap again because it loses it's time as soon as it is unplugged. I also need to check the lubrication and belts, It is having when I first hit play. Either the belt is slipping or the lube is dried up (I think) and is having trouble at the last bit of movement. I have a new super cap on the way from DigiKey, so I'll look at it then.

Anyway, I just wanted to post this here in case someone else has a similar problem like me.