View Single Post
Old 12-08-2016, 11:57 AM
VideoKarma Member

I am not planning to test caps in old gear with en eye to re-use except micas and ceramics to see if they are ok to keep or need replacing, as one would usually prefer to keep those. I'm sure I will check old paper caps for a while as they are pulled out just educate myself on how many are bad and just how bad they are. I'd also use it to check new caps before installation, not just that they are good but that I have the right value.

And I just figured out that it is much closer than I thought. I decided to re-check my leakage test with resistors and realized that with the leakage range switch set correctly for the DUT that it is pretty close. Good enough, I'm happy with that.

So, is there a rule of thumb for unmarked/unknown mica and ceramic caps for leakage? I'm trying to get an idea for when trouble shooting for those times when they do go bad. Same for paper caps, what would likely still work and what is just plain shot?

Pretty happy with it for a freebie. Only bummer is that it kinda shoves my Heathkit C3 with its lovely magic eye off the bench.