View Single Post
Old 03-01-2017, 02:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notimetolooz View Post
Interesting. I never could get the lowest range on my C-3 to work. Thought it was because of the reason Old_TV_Nut mentioned. I tried another eye-tube.
Perhaps the range selector (wafer) switch was just dirty. Most are after 60 years. if not that then that range's reference cap was likely bad. My experience with any of that type (many similar) cap checker is that almost all of the original caps have to be changed out. Especially if you are actually going to use it for value measurements, which many people don't even care about due to the ease and precision of a DVM.

But these old units IMO are invaluable for the leakage function at rated voltage. Simply nobody today makes anything that does this EXCEPT Sencore to my knowledge. Ebay has a couple of those modern units right now. An LC102 for a grand or two and even the old Z Meter LC75s from a suspect the 70s are usually a few hundred.

So the old Heathkits are to me definitely the way to go hands down. Simple in construction, yet durable enough, and they get the job done well with the added attraction of vintage looks and a magic eye. Some don't like the magic eye and want a milliammeter. Indeed more accurate, so you step up to a Sprague TelOhmike, but they are much more complex. There is a Pyramid model that is like a C3 only with a milliammeter. That's what I want! Oh and never change out you magic eye tube unless it gets dim or shorts.