View Single Post
Old 03-09-2017, 08:31 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWM View Post
I would not every use a tube tester on:
Damper/horz out/HV rec/shunt or regulator tube.

If you are having any HV issues it best to try subbing known working tubes in those areas. I don't think most tube testers can simulate the working environment of a tube, esp those.

I pretty much only rely on the shorts test before installing any new tube just to make sure it does not damage the set being worked on.
I don't have another working set that uses the same HV rect or HOT so it is guess and test all the way with this TV....I was not relying on the tester for accuracy (though it was accurate*), but more of a confirmation the heater was not open and that it had potentially usable emission.

*That first replacement lasted ~3 hours putting out around 15KV before it died. The tester showed it as usable when it sort of worked and dead after it died....Hard to accurately test a tube for future life.

I'm used to NOS tubes being DOA, or healthy, but I'm not used to them acting healthy and dying rapidly when put into service.

I've got a issue with the color dropping out that I want to fix so I'm going to put some hours on it before I button it up...There could be some secondary issue killing HV rects.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma