Thread: Rca ta 129b
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2010, 05:23 PM
No time for this hobby

Tough TV?

Thanks for the offer Leadlike! I am just taking it slow for the time being. I am a little younger than alot of you guys and the weight doesn't bother me. It is a relief to hear you say this a tougher TV. The video portion seems like the easy part to change the caps. Getting into the audio and the tuner are going to be difficult especially if I don't tear them apart. I really did not want to mess with them much if at all possible. My plans are to spend a while finding the lay of the land sort to speak. I have bought and am going to buy a CRT tester, tube tester and variac before I order my caps now. I just need the Variac after today. After more testing I am going to change the caps and probably go for it. The only problems I have found so far are that the 1/4 amp fuse lead had broke right at the power supply and the screw part of my 1st video RF coil is missing. It looks like the resistance is close to double what it should be. Primary at .2 ohms and secondary at .8 ohms. (in fact exactly double the specs.) I may need a new coil here. Other than that everything is going great so far. I haven't found any bad resistors. Knock on wood! yet. I was kinda hoping this TV was a little bit of a tougher one. I am doing this as a big time learning experience! If I can do this with the background I have, I can do almost any of them after a little more experience! I also fully expect to have some major problems before it is complete. This is similar to the set that Bill Cahill did and posted progress on at antiqueradios.com. His thread was 61 pages long and it took him 3 years! He probably has more experience than most of the people on this site too! Although he had some other mitigating factors like health and sight to deal with it just seems like these older RCA models don't give you a break!