View Single Post
Old 02-21-2017, 09:47 PM
The Resident Brony

Update: good news, I found the point of arcing. One of those little terminal strips had a carbonized section, and presumably that area handles HV for the CRT. I yanked the terminals off of it and no more arcing. Using the 5DEP1, I can get a line! It is a nos tube, but still, the display is nice and bright even in a lit room on the lowest brightness setting. I tried hooking up the signal generator to the scope, but unfortunately I couldn't get anything out of it. So one or the other is having a problem. I'll have to bring home my good O-scope and see if it picks up anything from the generator.

Sadly, I can't get the original CRT to stop arcing at the base. I'm gonna desolder it and remove it completely. Hopefully that's not carbonized too. O_o I can repair the breakage, but not much I can do if it's been carbonized... which come to think of it, aren't those bakelite? Isn't bakelite made from coal tar? Wouldn't that make it like 90% carbon anyway? Anyhow, if needed, can a replacement base be found?