View Single Post
Old 03-13-2017, 02:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Got 3 more sets recapped last month, it's amazing how fast it is when you have the parts in hand and have a vacuum desoldering station to remove the old caps. Score is 2 out of 3 on the latest batch:

32" Samsung - went perfectly, nice set, finally have a set big enough to see from across the room in my basement.

22" Acer monitor - When I grabbed this while dropping off electronic scrap, I thought it was a TV only to find it's just a monitor. But a nice one and it fired right up after recapping. Not sure how I'll use it but I'm setting up a security camera/DVR system and it would make a dandy monitor for that.

20" Emerson with built in DVD player - This one was a dud. No bulging caps visible, and all the originals were Nichicon, so I was a little skeptical that a recap would do it. Turns out I was right, it doesn't power up at all. I don't have any experience with these sets beyond cap disease, what else can go wrong? I guess I should check that control voltage is actually getting to the power button and back to wherever. Maybe a relay?

So over time it seems to be about 2/3 that work with a recap.