Thread: 21zp4/21yp4??
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2005, 12:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstout66
sounds easier to just find the proper tube......
I think jstout still has the right idea. Gosh it would be so nice to be able to pop in that nice Dumont tube. I remember I saved it when I was a kid because it produced a goo bright picture. The set I removed it from was just like my set only it had a metal cabinet. I forget what was wrong with the set. Probably nothing. In the early 80's I would get old sets like that all the time and tinker with them or use them till something would screw up that I didnt know how to fix. Then I would bust up the cabinet and save as many parts as possible to keep my father from going insane. He always hated the old tvs. To me they were cool but to him and most anyone else at that time they were second hand junk. Tv shops back then were hauling them to the landfill by the truckload to make room for newer junk. Now theres 80s and 90s junk waiting to be hauled off. If you can find a tv shop. We have a few left in my county here in VA. I cant imagine how they stay in business but they do somehow. I wonder if some weird kid ever comes in fascinated by some 70's or 80's set gathering dust in the back of a shop and wants to fix it and enjoy its use. I can't see the same charm in the piles of plastic I see outside of one shop as I remember seeing in the 50's sets I remember finding. I used to like the roundie color sets as there were plenty of them in 1983 still around. Many folks were still using them as regular sets. That reminds me a guy at the flea market is holding a roundie he said I could have. I have told him for a couple of years that I have no room. Which I don't.

Thats what I hate the most about having a tv collection. Unless you are wealthy and have a very big garage or whatnot, you collect about 10 tvs and your crowded. Since antique stores think everything is worth a heavy price tag BUT a tv you can't really move the things for money. No longer can I fathom junking old sets unless they are a basket case. So what do you do? Maybe they will become some new trend in antiques and collectables as time moves on. Then I can move a few and get back into the whole thing. For now if I take on one I have to get rid of another. I may toss the couch and bring in the color roundie. I have a LaZboy. Who needs a couch???