View Single Post
Old 08-27-2013, 01:01 PM
Duck, you sucker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWM View Post
when you were checking those pots remember some of them may not test right in circuit. You would have to look at the schematic to see if they are isolated.

sometimes you have to comprimise the dynamic convergence, get one side perfect and the other is off a lot, in that case you shoot for the same defect on both sides. How much is normal and how much is a defect in a part can be hard to say. Just remember the idea behind dynamic convergence is to get the lines straight if thats done then it should be pretty close when the static is right on.
I followed your suggestion and touched up the static as I was doing the dynamic. It helped a little, but most of the improvement came from a second cleaning of the pots. Still, to get the better sides, I had to sacrifice the lower horizontal convergence and especially the lower right corner.

The one pot that tested oddly also had a click that sounded like a wire might have come unwound or something and was clicking as the wiper pushed it over. You could even feel it in your fingers. The coil is a given as it's seized. I'm pretty certain you can't lube the core of them. They seem pretty porous and I'm sure it would ruin the core.

Denon 5803A, Pioneer DVL-700, Pioneer CT-W603RS, Toshiba HD-A3, D-Link DSM-520, Dish VIP-722, Polk 1.2TL, CSi5, LS/fx, RT-800 and PSW-650
Audiokarma