View Single Post
Old 07-06-2018, 03:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

I was the luckiest guy alive back then , as an aircraft mechanic I had unlimited access to "Avgas" , good old fashioned regular leaded gasoline with a 110/120 octane rating , which I regularly bought and used to make up for what I couldn't get at the normal automotive gas stations . Was it more expensive ? Hell yea it sure was , but when faced with hours long lines on the day(s)* when I was allowed to buy normal gas , the Avgas was my "penny wise , pound foolish" solution that saved me a whole bunch of those hours of waiting . Time IS money , and in my opinion the increased price of running aviation fuel was well compensated by the time saved .

* Back then , in the state where I live there were no car license plates that had letters at the end of the license plate number , ALL plates (except so called "specialty plates") ended in a number either odd or even . It was mandated that only cars with plates ending in an even number (2 , 4 , 6 , 8 , or specialty plate) could buy gas on one set of days , and cars with a plate ending in an odd number (1 , 3 , 5 , 7 , 9) could buy gas on the other set of days . This "rationing" was done in an attempt to mitigate the literally miles long lines that would form at most stations that actually had gas to pump .

And yes , several times I saw actual fistfights break out at the pumps , especially when someone had waited in the line only to be told the pumps were empty by the time they actually got to the pump after sitting in those hours long lines only to be turned away empty handed (or more like empty tanked) .

Last edited by init4fun; 07-06-2018 at 03:36 PM.