View Single Post
Old 01-01-2016, 02:07 PM
Bob Galanter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwizzyMan View Post
Will do later this morning, accidentally pulled a socket pin out of the socket assembly while removing the CRT socket so will have to fix that first. I highly doubt the CRT is gassy if it can survive over 1300 miles of bumpy highways it can survive sitting in the 76 degree house I live in. Anyone have a general idea of how durable the 21axp22 is in terms of taking off the socket and putting it back on plus the bumpy ride home? Also happy New Year to all you folks here!
OK lets use correct terminology. The end of the picture tube has a bakelite "base" with pins. The wires from the chassis has a "socket" that has "terminals" inside of it.

Are you saying you pulled a "PIN" out of the Bakelite "base" on the 21AX or did you pull a "terminal" out of the "socket" that hase wires connected to the chassis.

First, I do not think your 21AX went bad, but that is always a possibility. If your tube is gassy you would probably get the dreaded purple neck glow when you power the chassis up. 10 years ago I purchased a CTC5 Wingate from California. The seller told me it was operational a year prior to when I purchased it. It was shipped to me in Wisconsin and when it arrived the crt was gassy. I am not sure if it was the transportation or temperature changes that made it go gassy but it sprang a leak at the weld line. The usual place that a 21AX leaks is on the heli-arc weld where the front of the tube is joined to the rear funnel. It is very rare for a leak to form where the glass components are fused to the metal parts of the tube. It is even more rare for a leak to happen where the lead wires come through the stem under the Bakelite base.

Normally if a crt is gassy, the filaments will be very dim with 6.3 volts applied. And if you increase the voltage while under test on a tube tester the filaments will usually burn out.

Follow up on suggestions the other posters gave to see if you have focus and ultor voltages. Then see if you have video signals and correct bias voltages at the pins on the crt.

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com