View Single Post
Old 03-30-2022, 09:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoman9 View Post
What happens if you turn the control to the right (clockwise)? Does the image ever improve closer to the Panasonic? How much usage has the Sony seen? It could be worn out or something out of whack.

It's also possible in the ten years since the Sony was made that Panasonic figured out how to make a better picture with cheaper hardware. Ten years is eternity in electronic development.
The Panasonic was bought in the family and used pretty regularly from 2001 to about 2005 or so. The Sony was purchased at a thrift store in 2012 with a broken blue gear (apparently common), but came with the manual and remote, which is rare and perhaps suggests the unit was used more often.
Did you find anything worth fixing in yours? Any common spots to check or something to look out for? I was able to find a NOS pinch roller assembly last month for mine (in Australia of all places), since the original was on its way to be shiny and slip.

Seems like you all are right. I suppose if I were watching tapes on an old CRT TV it wouldn't make much difference but these days, I capture them to the computer for saving, and every pixel sharpness (or lack of) becomes noticeable.

Given the cool look of the Sony with the swing down panel and large display screen, you can understand why I would be hesitant to want to part with IT over the rather plain and unimpressive Panasonic
(thanks probnot for the video source image)