View Single Post
Old 10-09-2014, 08:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2ise View Post
Well, depending on how interested you are in the girlfriend, I'd build the AC powered power supply. And replace all the wax caps in the radio, and any electrolytics too.
Actually, of all of her hot headed Irish ways, she accepts the fact that she has no clue when it comes to dragging home old electronics. One day she will bring home the mother-load cache of Catalin plastic as the good side of an Irish girl is that good luck charm thing going on. She is the finder of that Westinghouse "Little Jewel" I posted about. One of my nicest sets!

But yeah, she has bombed before and I had to re-gift an UGly old RCA radio-phono combo back to a thrift store. Nothing on the thing worked and if it did I would have still found a way to lose it! Sounds bad I know, but I'm no fan of combo anything. I gave my neighbors a real nice 40s Zenith combo with the "Cobra" head stylus in working order. In collecting you reach an unfortunate point where you must get rid of something in order to drag more somethings back in.

As far as building a power supply for this ugly thing goes, it would definitely have to be out of love of the woman and not the radio as I don't think that the thing is worth the cost and labor of building such a thing unless I were to decide to go ape ca ca into farm radios.

Heck, I have an old 1940s Lambda DC supply powered by an array of 6L6s and a few miniatures. Perhaps it will work long enough to provide the voltages. OR you can bundle flashlight batteries I hear. Expensive once again.