View Single Post
Old 07-25-2012, 10:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
I used to install rebuilt color tubes and they would often snap and pop for a while then settle down.

The reason I asked about the CRT connector is that I bought a Philco 19" set back in the 70's, it had a rebuilt tube but every so often it would let out a very loud SNAP, after about a month the CRT started getting soft and the grey scale went off, after two more replacement CRTS it was still popping now and then so I sold it to a TV repair guy.
He found the insulation around the Focus pin had gone bad and was arcing HV to the guns, this killed the tube very quickly because it was like being rejuvenated every night for a month. He fixed that an no more popping.

Wow heheh. Definitely don't want to kill this CRT that way. But yeah, CRT connector looks perfect.

But so far, it's not doing that snapping/popping/arcing anymore.

I would have expected it once or twice upon startup (just not as loud as what I experienced) but to keep on doing what it did. heh. I just wanted to be sure that this was indeed the case, and letting it run would clear it up. So far it has.

I'll keep you posted what it does tomorrow. Right now it's working great playing Family Guy.

Even got the cable box remote to work with it. Got Ebay setup for Sears TV remotes in hopes I'll find the one that goes with it (I saw it in the 1979 catalog on another TV: It has the full numeric keypad, volume up/down, and power buttons, and was quite wide.)