View Single Post
Old 07-24-2016, 10:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubejunke View Post
This is my latest acquisition with which I am pretty pleased and a bit amazed. I got it from praybay and managed to get it to my door in only 3 pieces. It's a darned shame that courier services these days have to throw everything around like boxes of rags! When it came, just moving the box I heard glass & was really worried. The seller seemed to have done an excellent job of packing for outside protection. Unfortunately one missing and another loose of three chassis bolts allowed movement of the chassis which is like a small TV chassis and the dial glass got cracked!

But the sound I heard was one of the two paralleled audio tubes (5Y4 I think) that jarred out of it's socket. I have read that these were fairly high end radios when they were made. I had seen one or two on praybay, but not many; nor in the real world. Westinghouse did a top drawer job I have to say as the thing is just built like a tank. If it were a TV I would call it DuMont! LOL!

Anyway, standard broadcast is very sensitive across the dial. Shortwave is working, but so far not really pulling in a lot of stations. With absolutely no capacitor changes that I can find the thing plays clear and VERY loud. I love it! It looks almost like they were trying to throw a fist back in the face of the Germans who were making radios like the Lowe Opta Venus to name one that sorta made most anything we were producing look like a joke to an extent. Hard to say really what they were thinking, but it works and works well.

If anyone here has parts I can use the inner dial glass, a back cover and a single push-button.
You were right about the paralleled output tubes, but they're 6Y6G's. I always thought it was push-pull, until I looked at the schematic.
Too bad, about the dial glass, Some other VK'ers had new dial glasses made. Maybe that person will chime in!
I don't remember that radio having a back cover. Is there holes where it looked like it had one?