View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 04:38 PM
The Resident Brony

Thanks for the input, guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
More: once the forward half cycle ends, the reverse voltage across cathode and anode shuts it off automatically and it will not conduct on the next forward half cycle unless it gets another trigger pulse.
I was reading up on thyristors, apparently they latch on, but it hadn't occured to me that on AC, they'd unlatch on the reverse part of the cycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Also if they latch: Once they are conducting they keep conducting till the voltage on the anode/cathode hits ~0V.
Which on ac, would be as the cycle... cycles. Yeah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
Dont think its your problem but its common for crap to get on the spark gap & kill it especially on top burners.
Yeah dude, that was literally the first thing I considered, so with the unit still in the oven, I unplugged the sparky thingy and used 2 screw drivers to simulate it. It's definitely a problem with the module itself. :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Have you checked continuity of the primary and secondary of the coil?
Uh... no. Since it has 3 inputs (as opposed to 2 that I'm used to), idk which one is which. I just ohmed it now, the top and bottom leads are continuous at 1 ohm, all other combinations are open.

Anyway, I've literally recapped the entire thing, and no change. I'm assuming the neon lamps are circuit protection devices, so given that one is flashing, that would imply that one part of the circuit is being overloaded. I've even tested all the diodes, and I removed the thyristor entirely, and the lamp still flashes. So I think I've ruled out evertyhing but the resistors. I think I'm gonna take them all off and test each one.