View Single Post
Old 08-31-2017, 04:06 PM
Motorola Minion

This thread brings back more recent memories for me. I was the "electrical" design part of an Architectural design team who detailed and specified new construction, additions and renovations to school buildings.

Reading these stories about equipment in other places including the "great white north" is amusing. Of the many schools I ever visited from 1989-2011, all were in central and southeastern PA with two out in the rural wildlands of western PA. I could comment about everything from the old TVs lurking in forgotten AV rooms to the fire alarms to transformers and switchgear rooms.

The intercom switch units were all made by either of DuKane - Rauland - Simplex - Bogen and Telecor. Some creative integrator-vendors had some kluges but we usually had only 3-5 in our specs depending on who was providing present service. I had good interactions with local vendors but they sure were competitive. They all had a gimmick or trademark like the class change tones, or the speakers. if one 'effed up a job in the same district, I had the hammer to make them fix the issue. If they did not, no bid accepted for their equipment.

The majority of speakers were Atlas Soundolier and Lowell, also Quam-Nichols and others were often branded Simplex, etc. Ill have to come up with some more after looking at my old design notes.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 08-31-2017 at 04:09 PM.