View Single Post
Old 01-29-2019, 04:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6GH8cowboy View Post
There is a nostalgic component to be sure. When friends see one of my early TV's working there is a sense of amazement when they can see the mechanics and the tubes lit. Lets face it, old tv's and radios can be very visual. When the local NBC station was ready to throw the big red switch on digital, a photo journalist came by and did a story on my then 61 year old TV that survived the era. The camera guy said "I've seen these in museums but never saw one working". He asked to shoot some video of the insides so I removed the back and he went "wow". He saw the glowing tubes, round things, square things, coils, colored wires and the picture on the screen from the back amid the shiny things. I was interviewed sitting next to it and a scroll kept rolling across the bottom of the screen- 'If you can read this your TV is ready for the digital age. It was on a digital hd converter. I also have a AA5 radio PC board version mounted on a board as a visible radio kind of thing. That shiny tuning capacitor is the money shot every time.
The picture was from a public Christmas display featuring one of my sets
Nice set! I’m sure that you are proud to display... looks like the kids were quite interested. Seeing this inspires me to put my somewhat earlier, but similar 12 inch version next in line for a restore job. These are pretty nice looking bakelite sets:

Any unusual problems that I should watch out for?

jr