View Single Post
Old 11-15-2017, 11:53 AM
Resident Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
These sets were in service for around a decade when the X-Ray alarmists got started...A pre X-ray scare HV reduction I'd buy as merited, but any X-ray scare reductions I'd regard as superfluous and 'not running the set as it would have been during most of it's intended service life'. I rather see a CTC-2/CTC-2B doing what it would have done in the 1954-1963 time frame, than what it would do in 1967-1975.
Agreed. As mentioned previously, the X-ray scare was completely unwarranted. Stick a 6EL4A in the set if you're that worried about it and call it a day. The X-rays are soft and the dose from a 21AXP22 face at 25 kV, or a shunt reg at 25 kV, is going to be negligible. I work with Coolidge tubes all day long. Trust me, if there were any real risks from a CRT I'd be the first to chicken little... You're more likely to be electrocuted by your CTC-2B.

I still have yet to see a logical reason to run this set at less than 25 kV, but plenty to run it at spec...

But if you don't believe me, defer instead to John Yurkon, a physicist as well, who has done actual testing on CRTs:

http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=112954
Audiokarma