View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 10:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

I degreased the main bearing, and all of the grease points on the top side under the turntable with isopropyl alcohol and a dozen or two q-tips, then packed the main bearing with grease, and greased all the points where I removed old grease with fresh stuff. The toothed wheel which engages the changer mechanism was caked in hard grease, and it operates much more smoothly now.

The idler was in very decent condition, so I rejuvinated the rubber edge. Also oiled the motor, its shaft was frozen.

On the under side, I haven't done a lot yet, except one point. I will pull it out of the cabinet and do the bottom when time allows.The turntable spins very smoothly now though, it takes a while to slow down with the idler disengaged.

I didn't realize that the www.thevoiceofmusic.com now sold a full line of stylii!! Last time I shopped there was for some VM specific items, like a new cartridge and a service manual for one of their mechanisms. Am going to order a coupld stylii for this player and see how it sounds - it appears the medium output xtal cartridge doesn't track as heavily as some of the cheaper ones, so I may actually be able to use this thing!

Diesel Jeep - good eye on the CSA tag, I really should have clued into that myself! The 1968 RS catalog has a very similar unit, however it does look different enough to be made by someone else.