View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 08:13 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAnt316 View Post
Are you referring to the Royal 7000, or the R-7000? The Royal 7000 series, as I understand it, was the last series of Trans-Oceanic (and possibly the last production radio ever) to be factory-built in a metal chassis using point-to-point wiring, as seen here. Zenith thought that buyers would choose hand-made quality over the cheaper printed circuit board construction of the radios starting to stream in from overseas; sadly, they were wrong. The R-7000 series which followed switched to PC board construction and, after a number of radios were built in the US, production was moved to Taiwan. The D7000Y, which I own an example of, has "MADE IN U.S.A." on the bottom sticker. Wonderful radios, BTW.
-Adam

Sorry about that. I had reference to the RD-7000Y, the model with PC boards rather than a metal chassis and socketed transistors. I'm hoping the one I am currently bidding on (time left 23 hours and 45 minutes or so, when I checked the listing just before starting to write this) is one of the American-made RD-7000s and not an offshore-made one, although if I wind up getting the latter (offshore-made, in Taiwan) model I won't complain -- as long as it works halfway decently or better. At this point all I know about the R-7000, etc. is what I have read about the radio on Phil Nelson's site and at RadioJayAllen.com.

The only thing wrong with the RD-7000Y set I'm after, in fact (according to the seller) is the dial light is burned out -- a minor flaw I can live with. I had one pleasant surprise while reading about this set -- that the radio is set up for stereo FM reception through stereo headphones (as noted on either Phil Nelson's site or on RJA.com). I always knew these radios were TOTL in Zenith's line of high-end portables just before they went out of the radio business altogether, but I never expected stereo FM in a Transoceanic.

For Sandy G.: Thanks for the heads-up on the chrome bubbling and separating of the vinyl covering of the cabinet on some R-7000s. Again, however, since these are minor cosmetic flaws that will not affect the radio's operation, I can live with it if the set I hopefully will get has it.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.