View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 11:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Good luck, hope you get it. One thing about ebay is a lot of people usually bid during the last few seconds, so expect it to go for more than it is right now. I have been watching Transoceanics for a little while now and the earlier 7000's usually go for $100-120, sometimes more if they're in really good shape. The newer R-7000 are at least double that. I think they are not only popular with radio collectors, but also hams. One thing I don't understand is why Zenith didn't name the R-7000 an 8000 or some other number. They really are very different radios from the earlier 7000's.

I have wanted to get into Transoceanics for a while now, but have been too tight to shell out the money. I know part of the problem is once you get one, you have to have them all! I nearly got a Strato World a couple of times, but those are really hard to find in good shape.

What I find interesting is all the Transoceanic knock-offs that other makers had over the years. Some were pretty shameless. Others were even making them well into the early 90's. I would guess that the 1000-7000 T/O's were the most copied radios ever. The RCA Strato World and B411 portables were pretty heavily copied too.