Thread: Scored a CTC-86
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2017, 10:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

Couple of nice saves there! That system 3 cabinet style is pretty scarcely-found in my area, I've only seen one in the white color. Not bad sets, IIRC this is the chassis that gets intermittent startup; where the LED readout and tuner appear to work but it is dead otherwise. If that happens, there is a psu capacitor that gets cooked by the regulator heatsink and needs changing. One of the 160v parts but I don't recall the capacitance value.

And yes those Taiwan made b&w sets are usually found working 100% still, much like any solid state b&w chassis. Only seen one problem with them, which is dim tube due to hard use. Recently picked up a Zenith Video Sentinel system which is a 12" b&w s.s. tv/monitor and a microphone and vidicon camera which patches in via a DIN-type connector on the rear of the set. It is Taiwan made and worked as found with a weak tube..Wrapped the tube with two turns of no.18 gauge wire fed into the filament supply. Bright as day and good contrast. made in 1979.

Interesting about the Magnavox-Panasonic connection. My '80 Magnavox 13" color uses a Matsushita horizontal output TO-3 but the IC chipset appears to be American sourced.