View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 10:52 PM
Administrator

I picked up a 1920's (25-30?) Hoover Upright a few weeks back.
It has a tag on it that says it was refurbished by Hoover, probably in the 1950's.
It works fine and is in great shape but it has a bad switch, I bypassed it for now just to see if it ran, it does but it's vacuuming abilities leave a lot to be desired.

I will say this is one area where vintage is NOT better, any of my three modern era Uprights (one Kenmore two Hoovers) will outperform this one, they also have the advantage of replaceable bags, and HEPA filters.
I didn't pay more than $10 for any of them.

The oldest probably dates to the late 80's and is a well built machine despite being made of plastic, I've got a lifetime supply of bags for it I found at thrift stores for cheap.

I had an old Kirby at one time, built like a tank but it pretty much just picked dust up and blew it out through the bag, yes, a new bag would have helped but no cloth bag can match a modern paper one.

What floored me was the $500 Dyson "Ball" Vac I saw at Wally World recently, it looked like the type of overpriced junk they used to sell at The Sharper Image, lots of Gee-Whiz appeal and no quality. Probably spend all their money on advertising, like a certain famous audio company.