View Single Post
Old 07-30-2004, 02:51 PM
On Land

Using numbers twice

Yes, this is true. Sears did have a bad habit of doing this. i have discovered this with some Silvertone items I have here. Although, it does seem that they at least wait a few years before using a number again. Two Sears radios I have both use the same number, but the sets are about 8 years apart.

Kam described his set as being 1937-ish, and this schematic shows 1936. In most cases, I would consider this to be a match. But, yes there are a few different tubes in there to consider. Although we've all seen crazier things, I wouldn't think they would use model numbers twice this close together. Perhaps someone had substituted some tubes in kam's radio? Hopefully Kam will be able to determine this once he looks over the schematic.

I found the 4586 in Rider's volume 8... i think it was page 8-42. I don't recall it showing a chassis number. In fact, I just stumbled across it by opening the first volume I grabbed. I don't have an index, and I figured I was going to have to search for quite some time. I guess it was luck. Take a look on that page and see what you think, Trees.

In any case, yes, model numbers being used twice is something to be considered here. Like Mr. Spock is famous for saying... There are ALWAYS possibilities!

He who dies with the most toys still dies.