View Single Post
Old 07-10-2017, 09:18 AM
M is for Memory

Were those different value resistors obviously changed after the set was made or are you assuming they were changed after the sets was made based on them not matching the schematic?.....If the latter you may be making a mistake.

I've beat this drum before, and I probably will again: Electronics of that era usually under went several production changes between new chassis designs, Schematics of the day often only show one revision and do not tell you if what is in your set was a change for the good or an old flawed design....Add to that schematic sources are known to contain typos (Sam's is especially infamous). Use the schematic as a crude guide/overview and take it with a grain of salt, but never as the Bible for your set.
Unless the solder joints, brand/vintage of part, installation methods clearly show it was replaced after leaving the factory it is usually best to assume a production change and leave it as is. At this point questioning production changes is a valid part of troubleshooting, but note the effects of changes, and note how it was so that if you need to go back to factory configuration, you can.

If the sides of the raster curve in and that curve rolls vertically at a rate of ~11 seconds with respect to vertically synced signal on screen then you have 60Hz hum leaking into your deflection stages....Which could be caused by B+ filtering/supply issues, grounding problems, Heater to Anything shorts in tubes, among other things.

If you have a variac and the set will maintain a raster when turned down to achieve slight H under scan then you can use that to check the sides of the raster for pull in after warmup.
If you have a large amount of hum leakage in the deflection stages (power supply hum will be worse) it can cause odd symptoms like disturbing oscillators during warmup like you describe.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4