View Single Post
Old 07-10-2017, 05:23 PM
Tube bug got me 05/2010

Sorry, I wasn't clear on those divots, they are irregularities in the vertical deflection, not the horizontal. If I can catch it on video or camera I'll post a picture tonight. Does not look like 60hz hum, the horizontal drive waveform is clean once B+ is up but before the tube warms up as far as I can tell.

Re: parts changes - I'm going off reasonable suspicion it's not right. The 560s I swapped were not "wrong parts" those were marked correctly but just way off value, as is common for old carbon-comp ones in a hot environment.

The 1.2K I swapped out in the yoke was also definitely not factory, had the same crusty electrical tape bodge-job as the work done elsewhere in the set.

The 15K was of a different type of resistor than the majority in the set. Most of the carbon comps were smooth glossy brown bodies, this one (and a few other ones that had drifted) had a very different body texture to them; pretty beat-up and pitted surfaces too like they had been floating in somebody's junk drawer for a while).

I hear you on not taking the schematic as bible, but for this set it is certainly something I need to give a little more credit than normal when working in areas that are not behaving properly. The last "tech" that worked on it couldn't be bothered to replace the bad 6AX5 rectifier and instead bodged the separate B+ systems together, probably making a bunch of these changes to correct for the voltage differences (including the doubled-up fuse hackery for the higher current draw)