View Single Post
Old 03-11-2018, 06:24 PM
Slave to 1 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by etype2 View Post
I answered your question. Did you look at the test results on my Calman ISF charts? I provided a link to see them. A smaller high light output panel will produce better results for HDR them my projector.

5mbps won’t cut it. I think what you are talking about is the bit rate of an average HD program. Netflix is streaming about 10 mbps. It varies during the program. It go’s up to 12 mbps. Direct TV is 30 mbps on 4K. These are the only two I’m familiar with. I’ll check on Apple TV. If your going to invest in 4K you want to make sure the chipset in the TV is capable of at least 13 mbps, 18 is better. You need an internet speed of at least 25 mbps. If your going to invest in 4K, why wouldn’t you want the best quality of 4K Blu-Ray? Some televisions display the metadata of the program watched. My Sony has this feature. Having said that, your eyes are the final test.

Update. I looked at the variable bit rates of Spider-Man Homecoming on both 4K Blu-Ray and Apple TV 4K. The Apple TV averages 13 mbps maxing out to 25 mbps and the 4K disc averaged 70 mbps maxing out at 100 mbps.
I work customer service for a communications company (OK, Frontier) and the rule of thumb I was taught that for 1080 resolution, the bitrate needs to be 19 Mbps, it might be doable with 17 Mbps but 19 is the rule. I only get 12 down on internet so when I watch anime, I select standard def usually. 4K, I'm not sure, I would venture to say at least double that if not more.