View Single Post
Old 03-12-2017, 11:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Unhappy CRT experiencing blue flickering.

So I scored a Gateway EV700 for my sleeper build, but after a few months of use, I started to see a weird blue tearing effect on the screen. I've tried both passive and adaptive HDMI to VGA adapters as well as a DVI-I to VGA (which I'm currently using). The flickering seems to be random and at times just turns my whole screen a tint of blue. I use the monitor as an extended display in conjunction with my LCD monitor. The CRT goes to the DVI-I adapter, while my LCD goes straight into DVI-D. Both of which are plugged into my GTX 980 FTW. I tested the monitor on an old Gateway laptop from 2007 with a native VGA port and it seemed fine after letting it run for about 4 hours straight.

There's probably 4 things I think it could be. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong:
1. My GTX 980 FTW video card may have some compatibility issues with the monitor's frequency.
2. The DVI-I to VGA adapter might be decoding the signal incorrectly.
3. The VGA cable somehow magically developed a fault in the cable within the time I've used it.
4. Within the 4 months of using the monitor, it is starting to fail and it may be it's time.

All the while I've been typing this thread, I've had the CRT playing YouTube videos and no noticeable signs of blue flickering yet. Here's a link to a video that perfectly demonstrates whats happening:
https://youtu.be/QfJr8rDplSU

Any thoughts on how to fix this would be amazing. Thanks!