View Single Post
Old 03-13-2014, 11:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

13" Panasonic color video monitor from '83

Here's a 13" Panasonic monitor that was in with a bunch of stuff I got from the local TV station. Before I go any further, let me say that I did clean some of the dirt off of it and I also cleaned the magic marker writing from the CRT that said that the tube was shot before posting the pictures.

This looks like basically a tunerless Panasonic 13" TV; and, in fact, I've seen the same main chassis in some 13" and 17" Panasonic TV's and some GE TV's that used a Panasonic chassis (the GE chassis designation was "BC").

Every one of the standard TV versions of this chassis that I've seen either had a bad flyback or the flyback soon went bad after I got it. I recall one GE that I fixed and while it was playing on the bench; the picture pulled in on the sides, horizontal fell out of sync, and the TV started squealing. Before I could pull the plug - POW!!!!, SMOKE!!!, STINK!!! and then the flyback physically had a crack around the case with windings hanging out of the crack.

I plugged in this monitor and it snapped and started squealing, just like the GE did before the big bang. So, I yanked the plug and I might make a youtube video of the flyback self-EOL'ing.

I was going to check/rejuvenate the CRT; but, I don't have adapter #CR30 for my B&K rejuvenator. If the CRT is toast and the flyback really is bad, this monitor is probably not worth fixing. Heck, given the unpopularity of CRT TV repair, I might not even be able to get the flyback.

The station had two or three more of these and I may grab them when I go back. If I can get the others, I might can take 2 or 3 and make one good one.

If you notice on the back, it has a VTR plug, as well as a BNC video input and RCA audio input. If I get this working, I assume it will be happy with a standard video signal from a DVD player or DTV converter?