View Single Post
Old 09-24-2023, 01:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamamaya42 View Post
A few things about your YT video.

The appearance of the horizontal output tube, you can't judge a tube's life based on the appearance of the flashed getter spot alone, it can often be very misleading.
https://tubesound.com/brown-or-black...not-mean-used/

The tube in the shielded area in front of the HV box, the spec often is that they can be mounted in any position, and often are :p They tend to radiate outward in a circular pattern from the bottom, so an open top is minimal x-ray risk.

Broken CRT cap / socket guide, this is very VERY common with these type tubes, and the bane of their existence, I need 2 myself, if someone could find a way to make them, they could make a good deal of $$$ :O

But the most disturbing thing was the broken convergence coil, with the wire jus hanging out like that, the plastic on it just deteriorated? O_o
Interesting I was never sure about how the x-rays would radiate directionally as I do not know all that much about x-rays other than wanting to avoid them.

I was wondering about the CRT socket guide breaking as being a common issue. I am not sure if it just degraded from age or if someone was being too rough with it a long time ago.

Oh yeah that was one of the most annoying things about this tv, at first it appeared to be only one of the convergence inductors was in need of replacement as it was dangling like an unspooled ball of yarn and dangling. The plastic literally was so brittle that just barely touching it made chips fall off...later when taking the panel off a second convergence inductor spool also had its plastic brake. Luckily I have since managed to get them replaced and had a ton of confusion about how to install them direction wise as it was unclear. What is even more strange though is other plastic parts in the tv seems perfectly fine and sturdy as if brand new. I am suspecting the ones exposed more to the sun were the ones degrading. Maybe some of them had a different type of plastic?