View Single Post
Old 04-17-2019, 10:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

Having been in the TV repair business in the 70's and 80's I only occasionally saw one of these sets. Probably because I was in southern Indiana and don't remember their even being a Motorola dealer in the area. I did however enjoy working on them when I did run across one. Motorola had a TV advertisement at the time that said " Works In A Drawer " with a jingle played in the background. It was sort of a catchy phrase as they used it in the commercial. While making a service call on one of these works in the drawer sets we found it had a connection problem. If I removed the drawer from the set and sat it on the floor the set would play. When I put it back in the set it would stop working. I turned to the repair tech with me and whispered " Works on the Floor " in the style of the TV advertisement. We both got tickled with what I had said and started laughing. I don't think the customer ever did understand what we were laughing at even though I tried to explain it. I hope a few of you do remember the Motorola commercials with the phrase " Works in the Drawer, by Motorola " and " Quasar, by Motorola " and get a little chuckle out of this story.

Dennis