View Single Post
Old 04-17-2020, 12:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
I've gotten working 70s HP gear for under $10 before. It is all a matter of being in the right place at the right time.

Some many service generators are inaccurate enough on frequency that if you don't have a frequency counter to check them they can sometimes mess up alignment. Some frequency counters will get confused if the carrier is not sinusoidal enough. My old lab grade generators lack modulation capability (which is important for some alignment work) so I calibrate my service grade generator by dialing the lab gen to the right frequency on the counter, connecting the lab gen to my scope, counting the time divisions with 1-3 cycles on screen, then connecting the service gen and dialing it for the same number of time divisions.
If you haunt enough big ham radio swapmeets you'll eventually have enough decent budget equipment.
Well the problem is, there are no swap meets near me, and trust me, I've already checked, the closest ones to me are in Indianapolis, and Chicago, and I don't want to drive to those areas because they are horrible to drive around.

The cheapest Hewlett-Packard signal generators on eBay are $150 and $50 shipping, there's no way I can afford that on my meager budget.