View Single Post
Old 08-27-2019, 10:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
A friend brought one of these for me to "look at". Said it probably "just needs a needle". Yeah right. That's just the start. Not finding any info at all, and specifically a schematic for the amplifier in this suitcase tube stereo. Anyone point me in the right direction?
The amp should be simple enough you don't really need a schematic.

The big work on those, is making the changer work - it will be all full of degraded grease, and will need a full disassembly, lubrication, and reassembly. Add to that a new idler wheel, maybe a new cartridge, and at a minimum a new needle.

Recap the amp, at least electrolytic and paper capacitors - tube probably still good.

I REFUSE to work on these for people, at this point. Not worth the time, to be honest - you'll have two days and $100 of parts into something which you'll be lucky to get $100 for at the end of the day. On the other hand, if it's for fun, it can be cool to see it going.

The thing is, even when working correctly they sound kind of bad - those old turntables aren't stable like a direct drive or even a good belt drive, and they track too heavy. The dried out suspension of most old ceramic cartridges is hard on records and adds a bit of unwelcome distortion.

Last edited by maxhifi; 08-27-2019 at 10:20 AM.
Audiokarma