View Single Post
Old 08-27-2019, 10:34 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
The amp should be simple enough you don't really need a schematic.

The big work on those, is making the changer work - it will be all full of degraded grease, and will need a full disassembly, lubrication, and reassembly. Add to that a new idler wheel, maybe a new cartridge, and at a minimum a new needle.

Recap the amp, at least electrolytic and paper capacitors - tube probably still good.

I REFUSE to work on these for people, at this point. Not worth the time, to be honest - you'll have two days and $100 of parts into something which you'll be lucky to get $100 for at the end of the day. On the other hand, if it's for fun, it can be cool to see it going.

The thing is, even when working correctly they sound kind of bad - those old turntables aren't stable like a direct drive or even a good belt drive, and they track too heavy. The dried out suspension of most old ceramic cartridges is hard on records and adds a bit of unwelcome distortion.
Good advice! My sentiments exactly on getting it going. The auto turntable will likely take the most time and effort, and I'm not even sure they want to spend 20 to 25 bucks on a new "needle" stylus. And I wouldn't want to play any of my records on it. These are the things you could wear out records on.