View Single Post
Old 08-27-2019, 12:21 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
Webcor have bad rubber grommets in the arm which you have to replace, and then a hard to find idler wheel. I also don't like how they have a gear which always turns with the platter and never disengages. They seem quite prone to rumble issues.

This being the perpetual issue... In the time it takes to make that thing work, there's many other more profitable things I could do.

That's a VM changer, they aren't junk, but any changer being done for someone else is by definition a pain in the neck, and if I have to spend a few hours messing with the trip mech to make it work right, and then suddenly the arm starts going to the 45 position when I have LP selected, I'd regret taking on the whole project.

I actually end up regretting it every time I take on a changer for someone - it seems invariably when people find out I'm interested in vintage electronics, someone wants me to fix a crappy old console or portable player with a dilapidated old changer at its heart.

The only ones I will happily touch for someone else these days are 70s BSR changers, with the slim line cartridge. I can usually make one run reliably with less than an hour's work, and the mechanisms are almost bulletproof. They are also reasonably easy on records, usually have good idlers still, and the styli are cheap. I'd rather do 3 BSRs than a single Dual or Collaro
Never seen an arm grommet fail. The double decker idler is the same part the RCA RP-168 and RP-190 45rpm mini changers use. In addition to those being available there are also kits to replace it with a copper pulley and a couple silicone O rings....I do enough RCAs that I've been considering making a mold of the pulley and casting my own.

Collaros are a bit of a pain but the conquer with it's arm size feeler that can play all sizes (even odd duck non-standard sizes) intermixed from biggest to smallest has become my second favorite (Glasser steers GS77 beats it) 4 speed changer from a user perspective...a mechanism that cool at least if I'm keeping it is worth the effort.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma