View Single Post
Old 04-07-2010, 01:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks, but I already have the 41-295, and I already have lots of consoles, so I'm really just looking for one of the remote control models.
About the '74, there's good news, and bad news. The good news is I took the tuner apart cleaned the switch that controls which channel number lights up, and now all the channel numbers light up. The bad news is after I put it back together I just got 3 horiz lines on the screen, like it was stuck in the setup mode. So I go around to the back of the set and start shaking the setup switch thinking it's just gummed up, it has no effect. Then I see an orange light and smoke from under the chassis, I quickly unplug, and I haven't looked at it to see what happened yet.

The '63 is still working good, I'm currently just waiting for one electrolytic to come that I didn't have, so I can say I did a complete recap of all electrolytics, and have it be very unlikely I'll have to take it apart again.

Actually the horiz hold problem I had with this set after it was first on for about 30min was caused by a resistor, the vert size problem by electrolytics, but but they're such a common problem, I figure if one goes bad why take the chance, and just not change all of them? - Although by 1970 b/w Zenith held out for 5 years of regular use before I had a bad electroyltic, and I've been using my b/w '65 Zenith nearly every night for several months now on the original electrolytics with no problems.

Last edited by Adam; 04-08-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Audiokarma