View Single Post
Old 07-28-2013, 10:50 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by technicolor View Post
I have heard there is no real payoff with these sets unless u get a 84" or bigger.
It is not the screen size itself so much as how close you sit to watch relative to the screen's size. The ideal distance for a 1080p display ( most current HDTV sets) in order to see all of the detail is about 1.2 or 1.3 times the width of the screen (not the diagonal number). So, a 46-inch diagonal set has a picture about 40 inches wide by 22.5 inches tall. The best distance to see that size screen is four to four-and-a-half feet away. You can also reverse these numbers and measure the distance from your couch, for example, to the wall or table where you will put your planned new TV. If that table or wall is nine feet away, the ideal size is a 92-inch diagonal screen. Most people do not watch screens this big, or this close (but I do!). Now, for 4K displays, double the screen size (or sit half as far away as measured above). Five feet away from a 100-inch screen-you will feel like you are EATING the display! But... Sit any further away, and most people will not see a sharper picture than with a 1080p screen.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."