View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstaton View Post
I just fixed up an old late 1950's or early 1960's Imperial(Western Auto) Freezer for a friend. It was at another friends appliance repair shop waiting to go to scrap. I wanted to see if i could fix it. It is in really good shape and super clean inside. All that was wrong with it is some of the wiring to the relays went bad. All replaced and it works great. It pulls less than 4 amps. The newer freezers pull around 4 amps so why would I want that newer stuff that fails at an early age when I can have something still working 50 years later(and looks cool)?
As for front load washers, I work on those all the time, bad pumps, bad bearings, torn boots, burnt computers. gets expensive to have to replace those parts when it is 5 years old(some are overloaded and abused). A lot of customers go back to top load Whirlpool made bullet proof easy to repair washers. Parts are cheap and plentiful. DON'T EVER buy a GE front load washer!! They are Chinese junk!!!! Those GE fridges have those computer boards go bad all the time. Keeps the repair guys in business.
I actually have a GE front load washer, that I got for free from a friend. I believe it's a 2008 model, and has barely been used. As it turns out, it was under recall by GE, so I had a repairman come over and look it over before I hooked it up to replace my absolutely perfect 1991 Maytag top loader.

He told me that the lifespan of the GE unit is about 8 years, before the door seals go bad and you have a flood on your hands. Mine, fortunately, was about one of the best he'd seen, as it was used very little. I guess the worst are the LG, as they only last 5-7 years MAX.

I decided to put new belts in my Maytag, and keep it. The GE, I'm going to hook up for heavy work, such as comforters and blankets, to thereby extend its life until the GE inevitably fails.....