View Single Post
Old 05-12-2018, 12:55 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtvmcdonald View Post
What we all want to see, or at least I want to see, before I start crying
in my coffee for not bidding, is a raster only, two guns cut off, that has
good purity. I have a theory that might make it possible.
Ask and ye shall eventually sort of receive...Video is still wacky which makes getting a bright plain raster tricky, and getting a pattern to attempt static convergence a downright pain in the but. It would seem the initial recap left several of those lousy chalk peaking coils, and sloppily j-hooked in many of the new caps...I'm glad it is pre-recapped, but some of the workmanship, to put it kindly, is not how I would have done it. Soon I hope to bench it and go over the video circuits. Purity and convergence pics shown below represent my first attempt on a 15GP22 based set. It is a completely different process from every CRT type that followed. Most of the time I felt like I had been dropped in Brittan and asked to drive one of their backward cars on one of their backward roads. Static convergence was off by a mile when I did the purity so if it is anything like a later set then that will affect the purity, and I'm probably going to have to go back and forth between static convergence and purity a few times before it is right (only did purity once followed by one round of convergence). Static convergence is REALLY weird on this set there is the side knob (which gave me a choice of how wrong I wanted it at first) then the static magnets are similar but different from later CRTs...Specifically, there is only blue lateral action from the magnet and the DC convergence knob on the HV cage needs to be used in conjunction (and it affects all three guns)...In summary purity and convergence are sort of decent, but not perfect.

I'll probably be able to improve it more in the future.

For now, I plan to focus on the video circuits...The lumina channel will pass very weak video with the chroma off, but not nearly as much as it should, with chroma up it will get VERY bright but it seems like the color demod is not working correctly...Looking at the clock I should probably sleep and worry about it tomorrow.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4