View Single Post
Old 03-28-2022, 11:04 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
LEDs still aren't the best for outdoor applications. In my neck of the woods route 18 past the Brookfield WI Von Maur (I think it's only around 3-4 years old) there's a section of LED street lighting it was originally all an orangie color temperature LED, but better than half have drifted color...Most have gone whiteish, but several have gone primary dark blue.

Orange? I have yet to see any LED (or other type) street light turn orange, even if the bulb is quite old. The streetlights in my area are on from dusk to dawn, seven days a week, so I would have expected to see at least one of those bulbs to be changing color (with some of them having failed) by now. I live on the main street of a village in northern Ohio, have been here 21 years, but I have yet to see any of the street lights change color. In fact, until I read the posts in this thread, I did not think it was possible for street lights to literally change color, unless there is something about LED or sodium street lights which would cause this once the bulbs are a certain age. I realize these bulbs last only X number of years; however, I wonder if the color change as the bulb ages is actually a sign that the bulb is about to burn out. If so, it would make perfect sense to me that these bulbs would be on their last legs after 10-20 years and would noticeably change color shortly before failing. The bulbs in your area must be slightly different if they turn dark blue, while most others are bright white.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 03-28-2022 at 11:07 PM.
Audiokarma