View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011, 07:50 PM
NZ Vintage TV Collector

Here is a rather belated update on the Majestic set as mentioned in the first post in this thread, I actually finished the set electronically about a year ago! Don't know where that time has gone, having a two year old boy certainly makes you change your time management....

So to continue on where I left off....

It was a fairly straight forward process after I had replaced the crook sync discriminator diodes that were causing some problems with the horizontal side of things, I went through and replaced all the capacitors and replaced the filter/power supply caps and fitted some new rectifier diodes with 1N4007's.

Checked most of the resistors and replaced some that were a bit out, but the majority of them tested ok and still within tolerance which was good.
Also had to replace the vertical height and linearity pots as one had a dead spot and the other was open circuit and I seem to recall there was some other problem with the vertical section which needed fixing.

Tested all the valves and found a couple that were a bit off but all the others apart from the valves I had to replace initially checked ok. Adjusted picture geometry to best as possible.

So overall quite happy with way its been going and have been using it to watch DVD's mainly.

Although one night it gave me a scare, I watching something on it and started noticing the picture slowly getting larger.... then it started blooming followed by an arcing noise then it vanished!

I jumped up and dived around the back thinking the worst like the line output transformer had just failed but luckily it was only the EY88 boost tube which had decided to go to air while in use, so another one in its place and we had a nice crisp stable picture again!

I've included some photos taken a couple of days ago of the finished result and a photo of the small pile of parts that were replaced. BTW the image shown is from an episode of UFO 1970's sci-fi series.

I learned recently from an old tv tech that the circuitry in this was based on a Philco?....Interesting
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4015.jpg (79.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4018.jpg (109.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4019.jpg (116.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4022.jpg (95.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4024.jpg (127.4 KB, 29 views)

My YouTube Link - http://www.youtube.com/user/glenz1975?feature=mhsn